Posted on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 4:15pm
As you’ve hopefully seen by now, we recently released our game Woah Dave! on 3DS, iOS, and Steam (PS4 and Vita to come). Since then, people have been asking us for tips and tricks on how to achieve higher scores. Being the kind people we are, we couldn’t possibly deny such a request.
I reached out to everyone at the studio and asked them to offer a tip or two on how to collect as many of those precious pennies as possible. Follow these tips, and you’ll be a pro Dave in no time.
FAIR WARNING: Some of these tips are completely useless.
- In normal mode, if the bottom platform hasn’t disappeared yet, you can stand directly under the center platform and dodge all aliens. This only works until either UFOs arrive or the aliens evolve into flying eyeballs. - Dant
- Rather than picking up a skull to throw it at an egg, try throwing eggs at a skull that’s about to explode. - Dant
- If there's a large amount of coins surrounded by eggs and skulls, pick up a recently dropped item before running in and grabbing them. This will prevent you from accidentally picking up something that's on the verge of killing you. - Andy
- In the beginning, try to collect 4 woah blocks on screen at once, so when you throw the fifth one, you get 40 pennies instantly. - Alex
- Don't be afraid to use a skull multiple times to clear eggs out of areas you don't want them in. - Andy
- If your game is going poorly, on your last life, get a lot of enemies on screen, throw a Woah Block, then commit suicide. When you start your next game, all those pennies will give you a great head start. — Alex
- Try to keep the eggs to one side of the screen as they drop. - Andy
- Eat weird Swedish cheese. - Danny
- Float a booger. - Alex
- Upgrade to a cyberbrain for faster reflexes - Andrew
- Make sure your marriage has a Woah Dave! clause in it. - Brian
Any other tips you care to contribute? Post them in the comments!
UPDATE: We reached out to our Twitter followers to see if they had any tips they'd like to share as well. Here's what we got back!
- Top left and right corners are UFO magnets (until respective ledges are destroyed). Toss everything asap and don't be greedy! - @zeldana
- Try to fill the screen with a lot of enemies/objects before using the Woah! Block. - @Agentdave7
- Protect the upper left platform at all costs. Losing it hurts your scoring potential more than losing your first life. - @Veloso
- When a UFO stops over the left platform, you can walk under him safely. Risky, but again you really have to protect the plat. @Veloso
- you dont - @zbw2000
Posted on Wednesday, November 5, 2014 - 2:47pm
“So a while back Rayman was confirmed as a trophy in Smash Bros. Rayman isn't playable, and indeed isn't in the game in any form other than this trophy. However, as he was created by Ubisoft, he's third party: meaning that third party trophies are possible even if they aren't playable. What I'm getting at is this: COMMANDERVIDEO TROPHY?”
A couple months back, someone sent us that question on Tumblr. We didn’t respond, because we didn’t want to spoil the surprise. In fact, I’ve lost count of the amount of tweets, Facebook posts, Tumblr questions, and other such inquiries we’ve received on this very subject. We ignored most of those as well. There was simply no way to respond without either giving it away or making it sound as though we were dismissing the idea entirely.
Fast forward to now, and Nintendo has announced via Nintendo Direct that CommanderVideo will be a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. We’ve known about it internally for a few months now, of course, but our excitement hasn’t deterred one bit since we first found out. We are—as one might imagine—over the moon that a character of ours is going to show up in a series as beloved as Smash Bros. Were we not so hard at work on making awesome games, we’d stop work for the day and crack open the champagne. Maybe later tonight.
For now, let us know what you think! We’ll be hanging out on Twitter and Facebook watching everybody react to the news, and I’ll do my best to respond to everything people say (unless you’re a total jerk).
Thank you so much to all the folks who rallied for this to happen. You have no idea how much it helped!
P.S. - Shameless plug time! Our new game Woah Dave! is available now on 3DS, iOS, and Steam!
Woah, everybody! In case you missed the memo (and by memo, I mean our endless stream of tweets), Woah Dave! is available now on 3DS, iOS, and Steam! Based on the feedback we've seen from reviewer and fan alike, people seem to be really enjoying it! Have you picked it up yet? If not, you have no excuse!
And for those who have picked it up, we hope you're having fun with it! I know it's a cliche, but it truly was a labor of love on our part. We put a lot of work into the game, and we're excited to finally watch our little Dave spread his wings and fly. Please be gentle with him.
On a more musical note (sorry), we have good news for those of you who are enjoying the game's soundtrack! You can purchase it on iTunes and CD Baby! Exclamation point! Smiley face :D!
Alternatively, if you're not the purchasing type, you can stream it via Spotify, Beats, and probably other streaming services we've never heard of!
Now go forth, and be the best Dave you can be.
P.S. - I've seen a few people asking on Twitter and elsewhere, so just to reiterate: Woah Dave! is indeed coming to PS4 and Vita. No release date yet, but it shouldn't be too long.